Green Tips and Tricks for Traveling!
Today is the annual Earth Day Celebration – a day to celebrate the planet we live on and remind ourselves of ways to lead a more sustainable life. It can be hard to stay sustainable while on vacation but we have listed some easy ways to go green during your next trip!
– Before you leave your house for your trip perform these small tasks to save energy and reduce your bill. Many devices in your home continue to use power even when they aren’t in use. To help, turn your water heater to its lowest setting, turn off any running appliances, & unplug all electronics (lamps, televisions, computers, etc.).
– Consider alternative, greener transportation options and reduce your carbon footprint by participating in earth-friendly transportation like biking, walking, and taking public transit.
– When hydrating, avoid using plastic water bottles. According to the Sierra Club, every year billions of plastic water bottles end up in landfills taking up to 1,000 years to decompose. Bring your own reusable water bottle and fill it up multiple times instead to reduce mountain waste and save money!
– Buy local instead of buying products that have been flown or shipped from overseas! If you’re looking to eat out, use an app like Eat Well Everywhere to map your route and download a custom guide of sustainable food stores, farmers’ markets, and more.
– Finally, choose eco-friendly activities – go to a national park, beach, or volunteer at a farm. These activities allow you to tread lightly on Earth while keeping your costs at a minimum! Don’t forget to recycle along the way!There are many eco-friendly activities in San Luis Obispo County visit: http://www.martinresorts.com/experience/attractions to see a list of of our favorites.